Are you creative?
(The answer is YES.)
Creativity is a misunderstood term. Most people neglect their creative side because they link creativity only with being artistic. “I’m not creative, I can’t even draw,” is too common a phrase and unfortunately leads us away from such an important life skill – one that we can all have. We are all creative! We just need to find our style, work on it, and use it every day.
WHAT IS CREATIVITY?
Creativity is connecting dots in unique ways. It is acting on your imagination to create your reality. It is solving problems in novel ways. Everybody can be creative, it doesn’t take special talent, but it does require effort and a desire to think differently, outside your norm. Creativity is needed every single day, for everything from planning a birthday party to cooking dinner to running your house without stress. Or even for avoiding boredom, earning extra money without leaving your kids, finding your passion, and being healthy.
The creative thinker comes up with original ideas that are meaningful to her. She leaps outside the norm, sees connections that are not obvious, finds ways to do the things she wants (for herself and family), and follows a passion just for her. A creative mom has much less stress, more healthy habits, and strong interests that she pursues often.
You can apply creative thinking to everything in life by coming up with novel ways to solve your problems. We all have this ability! We are all intelligent, creative women that want to contribute to our world in a way that is meaningful to us and is, of course, very enjoyable. Even if you don’t know it yet, you are creative! Becoming creative is possible for everyone, you just need to find your style and grow it.
HOW TO FIND YOUR CREATIVE SIDE
In the beginning, it might seem daunting to ‘become creative’. But it is not that difficult, I promise! The key is to begin looking at things differently and be open to new ideas.
First, harness the traits of creative people:
- curiosity – Always ask questions. Why do you do things a certain way? Why does the same thing always make you stressed? How can you do it differently next time?
- openness – Be open to new ideas, doing things differently, trying new things, and leaving your comfort zone.
- motivated by something they enjoy – Pursue a hobby just for you, every day. Lack of time cant be an excuse. You DO have time each day, even if it’s just 15 minutes.
- positive thinker – Instead of getting bogged down by stress, busyness, and daily responsibilities, find a way to solve your problems in a much less stressful way.
- not hard on themselves – Don’t be so hard on yourself! Bad ideas will happen, lack of creativity will happen, feeling down all day will happen. Starting with negative self-talk will only make it worse. Acknowledge it and move on (or try journaling!) because being hard on yourself will only make you avoid being creative in the future.
- adaptable – Adaptability is so important in health and creativity. Changing your habits, routines, thoughts, and processes for doing things might be necessary for creating the life you want. You must be able to make changes without a fight!
Then, work on it! Start with a journal.
You don’t need to be a writer to keep a journal. Your journal can be about anything you want, such as a daily record of events, thoughts you have throughout the day, or a stream on conscious (just writing without thinking about structure or coherence). Or so many other ideas. (Check out my prompts for ideas about what to write about.)
The key is to just write, write every day, and don’t worry about making sense or sounding good. The writing is to get what is in your mind out into the world, and it is only for your eyes. After a short time (maybe a few weeks) you will start to see a difference in your thinking. This will be different for everyone, but you can expect more positivity, understanding about something that bothers you, calmness, and more.
HOW TO GROW & STRENGTHEN YOUR CREATIVITY
Creativity will grow and improve when you use it. A huge benefit of practicing your creativity is that when you start working on it in one area of your life, you become more creative in other areas. By journaling, for example, you will start to feel more creative in your cooking or parenting.
Once you’ve gotten the journaling habit working, its time to take the next step and strengthen your creative mind. An amazing way to strengthen and grow your creativity is to get out of your routine and do something spontaneous.
This can be as simple as taking a new route to work and noticing new scenery, colors, smells, and people. Or, it can be as complex as taking a last minute vacation. It doesn’t need to be complex to be effective, though. Jolting yourself out of your every day routine wakes up your senses so you notice new things, and it makes you pay attention to your surroundings because they are out of your norm.
Other ways to break out of the routine today:
Nix the to-do list and go apple picking ( something similar).
Do a quick google search about ‘Quaint Towns in NJ’ (use your area) and go visit one.
Go for a short hike and bring a picnic.
Go to the city (whichever is closest to you). Don’t think, just hop on the train and go!
Bring the kids to your parents and go get a coffee and read a novel, for fun.
Let the kids go crazy with paint, and join them.
Go get a new craft at a craft store and complete it today. (Check out my Pinterest boards for fun ideas.)
Walk and sing in the rain.
Go for a walk around a different neighborhood in your town. Smile the whole time.
Go do the thing that always makes you say ‘I should look into that’. I always say I should check out the historical sights listed on the brown signs on the highway, and when I do it’s always fun.
Midday, close the curtains to make it dark and have a movie marathon. (With popcorn and treats, of course!)
TO SUM UP
- Creativity is… seeing connections between things and coming up with interesting and unique ways to solve problems. All types of problems – from homemaking chaos, to healthy living ideas, to balancing life and work, finding a passion, cooking, stretching a budget — and so much more.
- We are all creative. YOU ARE CREATIVE. Finding and strengthening your creativity is so crucial to building the life you want for yourself.
- Harness the traits of creative thinkers – curiosity, openness, passion for something, positivity, kindness towards themselves, and adaptability.
- Start with a journal. Spend at least 15 minutes a day writing in it about ANYTHING. It doesn’t matter what. Use a prompt to get started.
- Get out of routine to strengthen your creativity by doing something new and spontaneous.
- Use your creativity everyday!